Friday, January 31, 2014

Photo of the Day: Super Bowl Boulevard



I came upon this Super Bowl promotion, Extra Point Kick, in Times Square tonight on my way home from work.  In fact, this was just the beginning of “Super Bowl Boulevard,” running through Times Square down Broadway—the center of all kinds of activity this week as the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks compete for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

There’s been a fair amount of mutual mumbling and jousting between New York and New Jersey this week over bragging rights to the game. The latter state, you might recall, is where the game will be played on Sunday night, in the Meadowlands. 

As for me, I regard this as a stupid food fight. I’m not sure that all the outside visitors will sufficiently compensate the residents of this area for the major traffic and security headaches being incurred this weekend. Moreover, with each revelation of another player falling victim to memory loss, dementia and depression induced by concussions, I often wonder why I continue watching this violent sport. 

Without the Giants in it this year, I really "don't have a dog in this hunt," as the saying goes. If pushed, I'll go with Denver because of Peyton Manning's fraternal connection, through Eli, to my home team. But the only thing I'll really be paying attention to during the game, I think, is the halftime show, to see how well Bruno Mars does.

No comments: